Monday, January 7, 2008

Fish Babies

When I was putting Tayja to bed tonight, we paused to feed and count the fish.

One of the new Silver Mollies was laying on the bottom of the tank laboring to breath.

"Is Katie dying?" Tayja asked as a fry (baby molly) popped out of the birth canal. Note: Tayja named all of the Mollies "Katie" as in big Katie, bigger Katie and biggest Katie - after the manager at the pet store where I work.

"Wow! That's a baby Katie!," Tayja shouted. "Why did she come out of that Katie's butt? I thought babies came out of your stomach."

We'll talk about all that when you are thirty, I answered, with a sigh.

I counted five babies before I turned out the light and mommy Katie was still laboring. With a little luck all the babies will be eaten before morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Too too funny.

Paige said...

Now that is funny.

But on the other hand, I guess it is good she is having babies and not sick, since you never got that whole businesss about fish not needing shots across to Tayja.

Congrats on your fish babies. I think. Is that what you say?

Holly said...

I'm sure that Tayja also counted the babies so if you don't have 5 this morning she is going to point that out to you!