Saturday, January 12, 2008

Photo Tip for today

Running Water

Learning the relationship of shutter speed to capturing the motion of water is the key to getting compelling and visually interesting shots. To freeze the motion of the water, you need to use a fast shutter speed such as 1/250s or higher. The selected shutter speed is very dependent upon the rate at which the water is moving.

Remember, the slower the shutter speed you select, the more blurring will occur. As the water rushes by quickly, the image is blurred on the film, causing the milky appearance. You can change the effect by changing your shutter speed.

You should use a tripod. I did not. I shoot all of these with a hand held, 70-200 mm zoom out at 200mm. My ISO was 100.

1/2000 sec
f/9.0
Using a faster shutter speed (1/250 or higher) will "freeze the water in time."

1/25 sec
f18.0
Using a slower shutter speed (1/30 or slower) will cause the water to appear more blurred.

1/250 sec
f 3.5
Using a faster shutter speed (1/250 or higher) will "freeze the water in time."

1/20 sec
f13
Using a slower shutter speed (1/30 or slower) will cause the water to appear more blurred.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I like them all. I like them blurred as well as crisp. Tomorrow I will head back over to MP to the stream and try to capture the stream again.

Inspiration......and a challenge....can I do what Robin does?

Anonymous said...

I really love the side-by-side setups like these. (Well, top to bottom anyway. *G*) It's *really* educational. Does your camera record the settings it used for each photo, or are you jotting it down or remembering it somehow?

Robin Sallie said...

I am too lazy to take notes. I look under the File Information area of the photograph in Photoshop CS2. I did make sure when doing the water, to pick as slow as shutter speed as I could hand hold with a long heavy zoom lens.