Thursday, January 10, 2008

More Katie Babies!

When Tayja got up this morning and turned the light on in her fish tank, she screamed, "That fat Katie is not fat any more and I see babies! OH NO! The Black Skirts are eating the Molly babies!"

I ran in for a look. Sure enough the Tetra's were gobbling babies as fast as they could.

Tayja watched the carnage silently.

When the last baby was gone she looked at me and said gravely, "That wasn't very nice. Why would they eat the babies? Are baby Silver Mollies meat for Tetras?"

Yes. Big fish eat little fish.

"Even though baby fish have eyes?"

Yes. Big fish think baby fish are tender and tasty like steak meat.

"Are fish predators like a wolf?"

Yes. So are dogs, cats, lions...

Tayja joined me listing predators and what their favorite early morning snacks might be.

"If I was a fish I wouldn't eat anything with eyes."

If you were a fish, you'd be a little fish and I'd be a big fish!

"You would eat me!"

I chased her into the bathroom and pretended to goggle her up.

6 comments:

Holly said...

you know Robin, you are .good.

not only did you explain things to her well, but you also made it far less serious so she can perhaps process it without feeling too bad.

good onya!

Paige said...

Well good Lord, if this has not been a huge learning curve for Tayja! Every day a new disaster in the fish world that she has to percolate on. It sounds like she is doing a good job of it.

This not eting things with eyes though....life could get real hard at your house if she figures out Happy Meals come from cows!

Anonymous said...

There's a horror movie in here somewhere . . .

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there may be many life and political lessons to be learned in a fish tank.

We had a pet parakeet that our cat gave a heart attack to one day. The bird got loose and before we knew it the cat had the bird against the wall. We saved Romeo from Smokies grasp but he died the next day.

Only the strong survive, mostly.


-- Cloth

*Sarah* said...

That is amazingly adorable! Aren't kids the greatest?

Anonymous said...

Robin,

You are so good for Tayja. I don't think I could do as well as you are doing. I love your blog. Your pictures are fantastic.

Florence